Friday, April 17, 2015

Rough Ashlar No. 19: What's the Matter?

What's the matter with of Freemasonry? That's an interesting question. Actually, it's an interesting set of questions. What's the matter with Freemasonry? What's the matter of Freemasonry?

I'd like to suggest that what's the matter with Freemasonry is the matter of Freemasonry!

To answer the first question, we have to understand the second. 

If anyone reads my posts with any amount of frequency, they by now assume I will answer the questions I pose. I'm going to burst your bubble if that's what you expected. At least this once. I don't promise to make that a habit, though. 

For many, the matter of Freemasonry is laws, rules, rituals, regalia, offices, and lots of pomp and ceremony. For some, the matter of Freemasonry is legends, lectures, and grand architecture. For others, the matter of Freemasonry is a sense of belonging, a sense of shared importance. Maybe for some, the matter of Freemasonry is mystery. Maybe for a few, the matter of Freemasonry is spirit.

I cannot answer what the matter of Freemasonry is for anyone but myself. To me, that is a very personal matter, although not necessarily a secret. However, I urge everyone who calls themselves a Freemason, to give this question some very serious thought. 

Because what is the matter with Freemasonry is all about what the matter of Freemasonry is to each of us. 

No comments: